Until the buzzer

Lady Patriots finish season by qualifying for state

Dance passes a defender at a region tournament game against Lakeview.

Danielle DuBois, Multimedia Reporter

While the Mount Pisgah girl’s basketball team has endured many conflicts this past season, they didn’t allow that to stop them from getting to the region tournament. 

One conflict the team has come across this season that team have also felt the repercussions of COVID-19. The team has been quarantined twice over the course of the season and the coaches had to get creative with workouts. 

“Our coaching staff sent them cardio workouts each day which they were responsible for sending us ‘proof’ of their workout,”girl’s basketball coach Angela Crosby said. 

For many teams it was hard to stay connected when they weren’t physically together. 

“Some teams have gotten their season completely cancelled so the fact that we are still allowed to be on the court is enough for me,” freshman Kendall Rosser said. 

While conflicts have been thrown at the team the entire season, there have been some great accomplishments this year. The team has overcome all these conflicts with Crosby’s leadership who was named the 6A region coach of the year. 

“I was completely surprised when I was notified and reflected immediately on God’s favor in my life and over our program,” Crosby said. 

“This award is truly a reflection of the players and the hard work they have put in during the season.”

Crosby wasn’t the only recognized part of the team. Sophomore Monet Dance was named co-player of the year. 

“It’s an honor to represent the school,” Dance said. “It was with the help of my coaches and teammates which allowed me to achieve this goal.”

Dance’s hard work was clearly noticed by the team and the coaches. 

“Monet is a phenomenal student-athlete,” Crosby said. “She is humble and has a work ethic that is admired by her coaching staff and teammates.”

The team has come far from the beginning of the season. After all the setbacks they had to get through, they have finally reached the region tournament. 

“Most of our prep for region games included conditioning and talking about mental toughness,” Crosby said. 

Another part of region prep has been team bonding. Crosby has built her team around teamwork and the sense of community. 

“Normally teams follow their leaders and our team knows how important it is to me to take care and love each other,” Crosby said. 

Even though the patriots prepared tirelessly for the region tournament, their season sadly came to an end on February 23 against Christian Heritage.

While this season might be over, the team is already looking forward to next season. 

“Even this season is over, I plan that in future seasons to become a better player by developing better leadership skills,” Dance said.